Sunday, June 19, 2005

Fancy ride


This is the type of cars that we (the NGO I am working with) use. Unfortunately, Somalia lacks infrastructure and the roads are non-existing (I was going to say that the roads are in bad shape but there are NO roads for me to make such comment about). The Somalis are very resourceful people; I really don't think I could overstress this. They make roads out of nothing and in the middle of nowhere. This is why you need a 4X4 or pickup truck if you want to get anywhere outside the main cities. This is because, like I said, the roads are non-existing and many of the roads we take to go to the pastoral villages are just pathways made up of rocks or sand. This is remarkable because the pathways/roads get washout by rain but drivers still find their way home (this takes knowledge of the roads and years of driving experience). If I were to be left alone here, I would for sure get lost-it is just empty land to me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails