Sunday, June 19, 2005

My first impression of Bososo

Before I came to Bososo (correct spelling is Bosaso but I like spelling it this way), I was told that the city is really hot. But because everyone was saying this with such passion, I somehow figure they were exaggerating (why I though this? I am not sure but in the back of my mind, I was asking my self “how hot can it really be?). Well it is really HOT!!! During my first week here (I have been here 8 days now) it was really difficult for me to be living here. I couldn’t breath and my contact lenses are making my eyes extremely dry. All I do is complain about the weather and the heat. Even with air conditioner, it is still hot. You feel uncomfortable at times because when you get up from bed, the entire bed is wet (LOL). This was not psychologically healthy if you know what I mean.

The good news here is that you somehow, I don’t really know how, but somehow you get used to it. One thing that amazes me is that people here do not drink a lot of juice. They only drink water. This is fine but I assumed that they would be drinking fruits and stuff of that nature. I am really having a difficult time just drinking water because I don’t like water and only drink about one glass a month if I am lucky. I am more of the juice/pop person then water and milk (which are like heaven to ppl here-they also love meat. They eat all types of meat- Camel, goat, lamp, beef, and fish. Surprisingly, I have yet to see someone eating chicken. No one eats chicken here, they will laugh at you if you suggest such thing and they consider chicken birds).

In terms of how people live and how they are, I don’t think the Somalis here are any different then the Somalis in the Diaspora. The women here are a lot more covered up due to many reasons (some not even for religious purposes) and the men still (indirectly) try to “talk” to you. The only difference is that things are done to the extreme here. For example, a Somali person in Toronto will stare at you for a while then turn away if he/she sees you looking, but a Somali person in Somalia will STARE at you really hard until you leave or are out of their sight. Even if you look at them back they will continue to stare and study your every movement (at times it is very uncomfortable and creepy but what you are going to do?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails