Tuesday, June 21, 2005

EastLeigh (probably not the cross spelling)

EastLeigh is a neighbourhood in Nairobi Kenya. From what I was told, it used to be a lower-middle class area before the Somalis came there. Now the majority of residence and shop owners are Somalis. When I visited there, I was disturbed by what I saw. The place looked and smelled like sewage. The smell was horrific and it was too difficult to breath. However, the people were friendly, helpful and make you feel welcomed as one of their own. I found the living conditions of the Somalis to be disturbing but sadly they are living a better life then many other Kenyans. They are considered to be doing good or at least ok. The people there are struggling but they are using every resource they can to survive (see above pictures).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails