Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Forgotten Flag

I have came across this flag in an empty airport in Garowe. Most Somali airports are very small and do not look like airports due to lack of facilities and paved roads but this one takes it one step further. By the looks of it, there is no way you could tell an airplane could land here. There are NO OFFICES or people to welcome you or collect taxes from you. I was informed, although can not confirm, that this airport is used by cargo planes only, although I might add that UN planes do land here as well. Because I was on a cargo plane when I landed here, I will go with the assumption that commercial planes do not use this runway. The airport is called Conoco Airport because as the the locals explained to me, the oil company Conoco established it and uses it for purpose of searching for oil, transportation's of equipment, etc.

Whatever the airport is, the flag really got to me because it is still beautiful despite being old and covered with plastic bag. It is amazing how you only need to look at the SKY to know what the Somali flag looks like.

11 comments:

SleepDepraved said...

What got to me was the clear blue skies as the backdrop. Most of the somalis I ran into still take the blue flag with the white star as their national flag but maybe its just the ones i ran into. It would be nice to travel to Somalia and the nostalgia just hit me after seeing the picture and the sky.


Ps:- You are linked to our blog (www.somaliblogs.blogspot.com). Its a resource/collection of somali blogs. Feel free to vist and get acquinted.

Yasmin said...

I have never beholden a more beautiful site, our Somali soil, sky, and our flag flying high. Calankeyga nuurow Allahow ku nabad gali.

Sahra thanks for taking care of our people.

Anonymous said...

Great pics from home, walaal. I can't wait to go back to home sweet home! Could you please post more pics? I am hooked!

Admin said...

I have got a nice blog called www.somalianow.blogspot.com

I hope somalinonline.com will list my blog

Anonymous said...

This is rocking, where did you find the Flag? I already barrowed it and posted it on my photostream... Excuse me!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for somalia, anyone who served as a ragtag corporal, a sergeant, and bears some form of threatpower, thinks he has a God given right to rule the somalis.
My prayers for work-for-change.

mustafqaan said...

hey zahr I liked the wy u did ur web keep sist check out mine www.mustafqaan.tk :D

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the blog. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such themes. I like to read articles like this. By the way add some pics :)

Anonymous said...

Hello,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at work4change.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from your post above if I provide a link back to this site?

Thanks,
Charlie

Zahra Hassan said...

Yes Charlie feel free to use the information.
Thanks everyone for reading my blog and yes I do read your comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails